Birthing From Within®
Birthing From Within®, an Extraordinary Approach to Childbirth is a book by Pam England, midwife and founder of the Birthing From Within® organization which trains childbirth mentors and doulas to assist parents to prepare for birth experientially. Class Overview Classes revolve around the individual needs of the participants. Classes offer flexibility with providing information, Experientials, art making, movement, and listening in any class. With these innovative and experiential techniques woman and their partners gain confidence in their ability to birth. Partners are seen as loving birth supports who know the birthing woman intimately, but are not coaches. They also need understanding and support.
Classes prepare couples by offer the following information and more:
- Designing and creating a birth space
- Pain-coping techniques that work
- Anatomy and physiology of birth
- Labor positions and birth massage
- The role of the support person
- Optimal fetal positing
- Prenatal Testing
- Choices in childbirth
- Inductions and Natural ways to stimulate labor
- Breech and cesarean birth
- How to question a caregiver
- Newborn care
- Postpartum care and postpartum depression
- Birth art
- Rite of passage rituals
A doula is a woman experienced in supporting mothers in childbirth. She provides continuous physical, emotional, and informational support to the mother, and her partner/family, before birth, during birth and postpartum.
Full Doula Services Includes All of the following
- A free consultation/interview to discuss what you are looking for in a doula and what I am able to provide
- After you have selected me as your doula, unlimited communication, either by phone, email to discuss your concerns, and needs in pregnancy and in preparation for your birth.
- 2 prenatal visits where we discuss your birth preferences and preparation for labor and birth
- Support any birth option that is right for you.
- 24-hour on-call support beginning two weeks prior to your due date and continuing until your birth.
- Continuous attendance throughout your labor and delivery and first hours post partum.
- Preparing the birth space.
- Facilitate communication between you and medical staff.
- Comfort measures and assistance with pain-coping techniques
- Helping Fathers/Partners and others to participate in a capacity that is most conducive to the needs of the birthing mother.
- Protecting the integrity of the birth space. Hold the space for you and your family - that is, maintain an atmosphere of respect and honor for the profound rite of passage and transition of birth.
- First few hours postpartum support immediately following the delivery, during which time I can offer assistance as you initiate breastfeeding and help with any newborn and personal care questions and concerns.
- Initial visit in your home a few days following the birth of your baby during which I can help with newborn and personal care concerns.
- A visit roughly three weeks after your birth to review your birth and how you and the baby are doing.
- Answer any questions you may have in reviewing the birth. There is a great sacredness in the power of our birth stories. I bring awareness of this, and a profound respect for the role these stories play in our lives.
- Light house work, shopping, so you and your baby can rest if needed at a visit.
- Postpartum comfort measures.
- Breastfeeding support.
- An understanding of the difference between post-partum depression and baby blues, and how to support you best if you are struggling with either.